Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Travel/Life Goals

I've been meaning to do this post for a while, but I wasn't quite sure how to go about it. Would you think I was weird? Do other people do this?

Then, this morning, I was reading one of my favorite blogs, Fruit & Bread, and I realized I am not the only crazy person....Kristyn is equally as crazy. ;)

Anyway, the topic at hand: Travel and Life Lists.

For most of my adult life, I've had an ever evolving list that includes goals, places to see, etc. But, the odd thing about this list is that it's completely travel focused....and I don't have a life list for non-travel related things. (I should probably get one, huh?)

Anyway, lists.... I don't really have a written "places to see before I die" because my "places to see before I die" is pretty much everywhere. I'm serious. I honestly haven't met a place that I'm not interested in seeing. My friend Rachel sent me a quote that she said reminded her of me:

"I haven't been everywhere, but it’s on my list"~Susan Sontag

(And yes, I do have that memorized). I think Susan (and Rachel) pretty much hit the nail on the head for me. ;)

I do, of course, have some priority places, but I'd rather you witness them as I visit them here on the blog than in list form. :)

The other list I have (a much more formal list) is a travel goals list. This one is more broad and generalized and encompasses things that I specifically want to work towards. Life goals, if you will.

1) I want to take my parents on vacation on my tab to someplace they probably wouldn't pick up and head to on their own (probably Europe).

2) I want to really visit 6 of the 7 continents (I grew up in ND, so I'm pretty ok without seeing the excessive snow, etc, in Antarctica...but if the right opportunity came up, I would probably take it).

3) I want to eventually be able to work from home, if only during the summers, and spend entire summers in Europe. I know this sounds like a crazy dream, but it's surprisingly affordable to rent apartments, so our three month vacation would cost about as much as a normal week-long vacation for us (assuming we continue to work over there).

4) Two words: African Safari

5) I want to take a substantial vacation with my best friend (other than my wedding).

Anyway, if you made it through this entire post, bless your heart. :) I'd love to hear what some of your goals/places to see before you die are! :)




4 comments:

RACHEL said...

I feel so inspirational!

I love your list, though. And I can't wait to hear the stories and see the pictures that come about as you try to accomplish it!

The Art Of Light Photography said...

I'm glad I make you feel less weird ;)

Amanda @ Click. The Good News said...

Some good stuff! thanks for the link to Krystn's blog ;)

Kemely said...

Wherever TAP takes me ;-)